Saturday, April 25, 2009

Turkey Tacos











When I start craving food, it's usually Americanized-Mexican. Tostadas; taco salad (anything with the word salad is good for you, right?); nachos with lots of tomatoes, black olives, homemade guacamole, a dollop of sour cream, dripping with melted cheese; tacos; ...somehow these foods satisfy the animal within better than most for me. These are the some of the comfort foods from my childhood.

Although I must confess: When I was about 12 years old, I would not eat a crisp corn taco shell. I threw a fit when my mother tried to put the taco fixings in the shell. A real spoiled-kid tantrum. I told her matter-of-fact that I was allergic to crunchy food. Unbelievable. If I ever do the "Peggy Sue got Married" thing and go back to my past childhood, first thing I'm going to do is slap myself silly.
My mother put the filling on a piece of bread, folded it over, and handed it to me, and yes, I ate my taco sandwich happily. I outgrew the aversion to the shell, but never lost the feeling that she cared enough to play along with my idiosyncrasies.

Here is my recipe for Turkey Tacos.

(Makes enough filling for 24-36 medium taco shells)

2 lbs lean ground turkey (ground beef works fine--my husband prefers not to eat much beef)--brown in a pan.
2 yellow onions--cut up and stir into the browned meat. Stir and cook for 3 or 4 minutes.
3 cloves garlic--mince and stir into the meat mixture, cooking for another 2 minutes.

Stir the following ingredients into the meat:

1 can (10 oz) diced tomatoes with green chilies, clean out the can with about 1/4 cup of water and add.
2 cans kidney or black beans, drained
2 tsp. chili powder
1 tsp oregano
1 tsp crushed dried pepper
1 tsp ground cumin

While the ingredients are simmering for a few minutes, prepare the following in whatever amount you prefer and serve in pretty bowls:

Cheddar cheese, grated
Tomatoes, diced with fresh cut-up cilantro
Lettuce (your favorite, as long as it's fresh and crunchy)
Black olives, sliced
Avocados, cut and mixed with an optional tsp of fresh-squeezed lemon juice to prevent browning
Light sour cream
Crisp Corn tortilla shells--heat for 5 minutes in 350 oven

Fill each shell with 1-2 Tbsp meat mixture, then top with whatever ingredients tickle your palate! Enjoy!



Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment